British Colombia has some of the best mountaineering and nature activities available on the North American continent. From skiing to hiking to picnicking, there are a plethora of options available for everybody to enjoy the great outdoors in this wonderful province, no matter how intense you like your nature activities to be. This area of Canada is known worldwide for its natural beauty – even its motto, splendor sine occasu, or “splendor without diminishment” exemplifies this quality!
Natural Wonders & Parks
- Glacier National Park contains a portion of the Colombia Mountains, and contains extensively glacified areas. This is a must-see for those who are searching for arctic beauty!
- Gulf Island National Park Reserve is over 33 square kilometers in area, and contains sixteen islands of natural splendor. If you’d like to see islets and reefs, this is the place to be.
- Gwaii Haanas National Park Reserve and Haida Heritage Site is 81 miles off of the coast of mainland British Colombia, and contains an archipelago of 138 islands to explore.
- Kootenay National Park contains a portion of the Canadian Rockies and has been recognized as a National Heritage Site. It is a wonderful place to camp. Mount Revelstoke National Park is near the town of Revelstroke, and is one of the smaller national parks in British Colombia. Despite its size, it packs a punch when it comes to content – it has the world’s only temperate inland rainforest.
- Pacific Rim National Park Reserve contains beaches, islands and mountains. If you’re looking for great diversity in terrain, you’ll certainly find it here.
- Yoho National Park in southeastern British Colombia is along the western slope of the Continental Divide in the Canadian Rockies. The name Yoho is Cree for “amazement,” which is what you’ll feel when you see the sights at this amazing park.
Scenic Towns and Fun Places to Visit
- Vancouver is known the world around for being one of the most pleasant cities to live, work, and play in. It’s been voted as the most livable city in the world many times – come stop by and see why!
- Victoria is located on Vancouver Island, which is a great place to visit if you’d like your nature with a bit of city on the side. Vancouver Island contains the best of both.
- Prince George is the largest city in Northern British Colombia. Be sure to stop here to enjoy a bit of city culture before journeying out to the colder natural sites in the province. Kelowana is one of the larger cities in Eastern British Colombia, and offers wonderful amenities alongside the region’s unique natural heritage.
Recreational Sports and Activities
- Rock Climbing
- Ice Climbing
- Ice Fishing
- Water skiing
- Boating and swimming
- Horseback riding